Monday, June 22, 2009

Old haunts

Notes from the Berkshires, Day 21

Amherst Coffee, 1.32 p.m.

I’m spending my day off tooling through some old stomping grounds, including South Deerfield, Northampton, and Amherst, where I lived around and about during my time in grad school at UMass from 1986-89. Twenty years ago does NOT seem possible, let alone plausible. I’m hanging and waiting for my old friend Doug to arrive at a very cozy coffee shop in a building that was a cinema when I was here in the 80’s. Excellent Americano.

The drive in was uneventful, mostly overcast but still quite beautiful. I stopped in S. Deerfield for a couple of views:



The last place I lived while in the area, above Lou’s TV. Still there, incredibly. My place was second floor on the right. I don’t remember it looking this seedy, somehow.



The view looking south from Mt. Sugarloaf - just a few blocks away from the apartment above the TV store - towards Amherst, and the Connecticut River; the UMass campus buildings are barely visible in the distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment