Friday, June 19, 2009

From K-land to B-land

Notes from the Berkshires, Day 19

Lenox coffee, 7.19 a.m.

After a couple of mornings of waking up feeling as sleepy as when I went to bed, this morning I feel somewhat refreshed. It’s not the weather, which is still overcast, perhaps I’m just getting used to the schedule. We’re at it by 8.00 now, as opposed to the more laid-back pace of starting at 9.00 for the first two weeks.

I put in a lot of time on two uprights yesterday, both Steinway K’s; these are expensive pianos for uprights, retailing for over 20K, but these particular instruments both had significant issues. At any rate, my reward to myself for spending the time on them yesterday is to go to the other end of the spectrum today and concentrate on a couple of my B’s. Steve has charged each of us to choose one of our pianos and “take it as far as you can” in terms of regulation and voicing. It will mean some extra time, but what a great challenge and with such excellent instruments on which to experiment. I also need to check on the problematic L in the Manor house, and I should finally have a piano to work on in the main room in that building, as the floor is finally finished and the mover told me yesterday the piano would be on its feet today.

One of the challenges for me already is keeping on top of my schedule – which pianos need attention and when the room is available. I have all these spiffy organizational tools at my disposal, but actually developing the habit of using them is the key.

No comments:

Post a Comment