Monday, June 22, 2009

Full contact begins...

Notes from the Berkshires, Day 22

Lenox Coffee, 7.10 a.m.

Had an excellent day off yesterday in the Amherst/NoHo area. Re-connected with Doug MacMillan over coffee, dinner, and the CGT show at the Iron Horse. Also saw an old musical boss of mine, Emery Smith, who is still playing weekends at the same club at which I worked with him back in the late 80s. I sort of snuck in and surprised him at the bar while he was eating his dinner. He remembered me, and had very nice things tom say about our short time working together. Very cool; I had promise to return once more before I leave MA in August.

The CGT sounded excellent, as always. Managed to catch the guys before and after the show for just a bit of chat. They are playing a number of new pieces from an upcoming CD, and I thought they were very strong. They also played their arrangement of the Beethoven “Moonlight” sonata, which I had only heard them do on recordings up to now. It’s amazing to me that they still have the passion for touring and performing in front of club crowds after 18 years of the grind, but they seem to still have the fire. More power to them – I hope they continue as long as they’re able and willing.

Today is the first full-schedule day on the grounds. Rehearsal slates are full, and we’re required to work around the performing fellows for our time on the pianos. I have today and tomorrow fairly well planned, but still need to arrange times for the rest of the week. There are also a couple of more educational sessions planned for the next 24: Steve will evaluate one of my tunings, and he will also spend a couple hours with me on one of the B’s working on voicing. First concerts are this week as well, with the Emerson Quartet on Friday and the Juilliard Quartet on Sunday. I love string quartet music, so that will be a real treat for me.

The weather continues to be overcast and cool, but warmth is finally in the forecast. V says 90s are in store in the Chicago area this week, which means they’re on the way here as well. Also need to give a nod to the summer solstice, just passed; usually a melancholy day for me – days start to get shorter, which means winter is coming – but this year seems different. I think there’s more of a sense of optimism about me right now, and also passing the solstice brings me closer to a return home to the divine Ms. V.

No comments:

Post a Comment