Friday, June 12, 2009

Foggy Friday

Notes from the Berkshires, Day 12

Lenox Coffee, 7.24 a.m.

I’m working on fewer hours of sleep than normal this morning, as last night’s dinner hang went into the wee hours, or at least what pass as wee hours for me anymore. Lots of talk on a variety of subjects including movies, food, parenting, and shared experiences. A very nice hang, which followed a pretty long day. We compared notes last night and figured that we got 14 pianos up and running between the four of us, including a bunch in Miss Hall’s School, a girl’s academy which houses a number of fellow and some rehearsal space; a place aptly named “the barn”, and some faculty homes off campus. I managed three pianos myself, one of which was a set-up out of the box and included a significant pitch-raise. By the end of the day my hands and ears were tired, and I was ready to relax a bit. Today we’re starting a bit earlier, in an attempt to knock out as many pianos as possible in order to make tomorrow a lighter day with the possibility of an early release.

I had a very unusual experience at the auto garage I patronized yesterday: I was in and out in less than ten minutes, and was charged all of $5. True, it was only a bulb which needed to be replaced, but still – I’m not sure I’ve ever spent that little time and money getting my car fixed. A very pleasant surprise, courtesy of Lou at Fortune Automotive in Lenox.

It’s gray again outside. Funny – we’re fast approaching the longest day of the year, but because of the overcast mornings it’s seemed as if the sun is coming up later, and it’s darker for the morning sitting. Warmer weather is on the way, evidently; the 10-day forecast has the first 80-degree day coming up by the end of next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment