Saturday, June 6, 2009

Notes from the Berkshires:Day 5

6/5, 9.55 p.m.

I made it through the entire day without having to tune an upright for the first time this week. Got to spend my time on the B I’ve been prepping in one room, and then I got to start the process on two other pianos in another venue, another B and an A. All these letters, for anyone who might be wondering, are Steinway model designations – Tanglewood is a “Steinway Venue”, meaning all the pianos are either Steinways, or another brand built under the Steinway umbrella, in this case, “Boston”. The Steinways are the instruments for all the performance venues and most of the rehearsal spaces, while the Bostons – some grands, but a lot of verticals as well – end up in the spaces outside the main grounds, and in the summer homes of faculty and staff who require an instrument.

Anyway, as I had thought, we’re slowly being let out on our own to get these pianos ready, which is great fun and also gives us a sense of ownership of the various instruments on which we spend hours. I’m looking forward to the time when I can hear a performance on a piano I’ve prepared and tuned. At least, I think I’m looking forward to that!

Had dinner after work at Scott’s digs with the other techs, and got a taste of some of what he’s been working on in his own business; some very interesting ideas, some of which he has obtained patents for, for innovations to piano design. I admire people who are able to follow original trains of thought in that way, to see possibilities for change that others have missed, or never considered. Some of the information was pretty technical, and while I was interested, I was also very tired, and excused myself early.

1 comment:

  1. David, thanks so much for keeping us updated. I'm really interested in doing something like this.

    Christa Andrepont

    ReplyDelete